Hospital Cash Flow: Becoming Advocates
By John Cook
As revenue cycle professionals we become frustrated with our inability to generate cash flow. How do we improve? A new perspective in our role is worth consideration.
The patient must perceive us as advocates, champions, proponents who offer options and solutions. It all begins with us.
- We are willing to listen, understand, and offer options. Speculation and judging are not acceptable or allowed. Each encounter will be different.
- Accurate information is critical. Investing in estimators and software will provide timely information to share with the patient (price estimates, insurance, and patient liabilities).
- We build trust and provide exceptional customer service. Our role is a part of the recovery and healing process.
- Caseworkers are available to provide assistance in obtaining possible programs available to the patient.
- Financing options are available and accessible.
- Convenient and patient friendly payment portals are made available immediately.
- We look for common ground, seeking win-win solutions for both provider and patient.
- We see and promote opportunity.
How will your team become advocates? Good training is a must. Where will you begin?
Feel free to reach out for one on one discussions of advocacy.