Coached: Valuable Questions for Healthcare Professionals
By: John Cook
Chief Client Officer
This year, I proudly celebrate 35 years in healthcare. As a director in a hospital for 22 of those years, I quickly realized the need to be coached, guided, and mentored by those people I respected. These were the folks who were my role models. All taught me to continually take an inventory of what is most important, what I need to let go, of and what I need to be about at this particular point in my career and personal life. These keep me fresh and vibrant for the good years ahead. These are the questions I ask, usually twice per year.
- What will stand out? What makes me shine like a star? What are others seeing?
- What day(s) will be my focus days? Focus on a particular project. Prioritize as needed.What day(s) will be my free days?
- These are days that I am off the grid. This time should be spent on reaching, rounding, and catching up. Always take time to read.
- What is my vision? Write it down with five action items that will bring it forth. Tweak the vision as needed.
- Who are the people I am closely linked with?
- Where do I need to disconnect and build boundaries?
- What one thing could I do, today, to break through to the next level?
- What am I allowing other to tell me about myself?
- Where do I cast my net?
What questions would you add to this list to take inventory?